1. Health
You can opt-out at any time. Please refer to our privacy policy for contact information.

Coinsurance

By

Updated August 03, 2010

Definition:

Some health insurance requires that you pay a percentage of the cost of covered health-related services after you have met your annual deductible. This is known as coinsurance and most often is about 20% to 30% of what your health plan approves. Your health plan will pay the remaining 70% to 80%.

Also Known As: co-insurance
Examples:

Mr. Jones has a family health plan with a $500 annual deductible and 20% coinsurance. In February, his wife and two children got checkups from their family physician. Mr. Jones paid the physician for these services, which cost $510. In March, one of the children got sick and the cost of the office visit was $50. Since the annual deductible was met, the health plan paid the doctor $40 (80%) and Mr. Jones paid the doctor $10 (20%)

©2014 About.com. All rights reserved.

We comply with the HONcode standard
for trustworthy health
information: verify here.